Put aFREEZE on Winter Holiday Fires
It’s fun to decorate for the winter holidays, but holiday decorations can increase your risk for a home fire. As you deck the halls this season, be fire smart.
- Half of the home decoration fires in December are started by candles. More than 1/3 of home decoration fires are started by candles.
Christmas is the peak day for candle fires.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that burns.
- A dry Christmas tree can burn very hot and very fast.
- More than 1 in every 5 Christmas tree fires were caused by a heat source too close to the tree.
- Read manufacturer’s instructions for the number of light strands to connect.
- Make sure your tree is at least 3 feet away from heat sources like fireplaces, radiators, space heaters, candles or heat vents. Also, make sure your tree does not block exits.
- Get rid of your tree after Christmas or when it is dry.