Tips for Hurricane Preparation
Hurricanes are destructive and dangerous due to flooding, heavy winds and more. To ensure our clients are prepared, we created a hurricane preparation guide with tips on how to stay safe and get ready for stormy weather.
Before a Hurricane Strikes
- Stock up on emergency supplies including water, non-perishable food, blankets, a first-aid kit, medication, a cell phone with a charger and a flashlight with extra batteries.
- Protect items like insurance documents, birth certificates and medical files in a strong waterproof container.
- Secure outdoor items like patio furniture, trampolines, potted plants and bikes. If possible, bring them indoors.
- Move your vehicle to a garage or higher ground in case of flooding. Avoid parking near overhanging branches as well.
- Review your insurance policies with your agent prior to bad weather to ensure you have adequate coverage in case repairs or replacements are necessary.
During a Hurricane
- Frequently check for severe weather warnings and important news updates within your area.
- Plan an evacuation route in case of emergency. Always follow your area’s disaster preparedness plans.
- If your area is prone to flooding, move furniture off the floor and electronic devices to elevated surfaces.
- If your home is serviced by well water, fill buckets and bathtubs with water to use until your water pump is powered by electricity again.